Thursday, May 6, 2010

Letters of Intent - 5/7/10

Foursons


Dear Brainsurgeons Who Think It's Funny To Have Halloween in May,

I don't know who decided it would be a good idea to have a "Favorite Book Character Parade" but you are making my life very difficult. Of course, my kids want to participate in the parade, unfortunately I do not have an unlimited supply of "Book Character" costumes. My efforts to come up with suitable costumes backfired (see letter below).

Love,
A Mother Who is Just Trying To Play Along
___________________________________________



Dear A and B,

I know you guys wanted to participate in the "Dress-up" Parade. I tried to make it work. I searched the stores and couldn't come up with anything from a book that any of us had read. And I was not willing to spend a gazillion dollars for a 5 minute parade that did not also include candy that I could steal from you.

Ashton, I know you wanted to be Santa from The Polar Express! I remembered at midnight after I came out of my Joshua Radin trance. I sizzled every last brain cell trying to figure out how I could make a Santa beard. With no cotton balls in the house, I really had to be creative. I thought what I made with a headband, an oval punch, white cardstock and tape was acceptable. Call me crazy (I am).

Bailey, I know that you wanted to be Superman, but we haven't ever read a Superman book. However, you did bring home a Captain Underpants book from the library this week and I knew your Superman costume could help make a great Captain Underpants. So what if it looks like you are wearing a diaper! You look exactly like the cover of the book!

Boys, I went to bed at 1:30am after rounding up all the necessary supplies for your costumes only to be relentlessly harrassed the next morning because you did not approve of my resourceful ideas! If I had taken the time to argue with you about it you would have been late for school. So, I had to send you to the "Favorite Book Character" parade as Superman and Batman. Booooooooring! I was present for the parade and I know that these costumes would have been admired or at least appreciated by your classmates!


Love,
Your Tortured Mother Who is Slowly Going Insane

Visit Foursons for more Letters of Intent.

And don't forget the theme for the next Monday Mugs is: All About Mom

18 comments:

Pam Bowers said...

Oh my words. That is so funny but I love the costumes. Kids don't appreciate all we do for them. I loved your creativeness for the beard. My hubs helped our niece make a paper white powdered wig earlier this year. There's a lot you can do with paper.

Kmama said...

I love you. I really, really love you.

Those are awesome costumes, and of course they wouldn't be happy with those. LOL

Foursons said...

Oh my gosh, those costumes are great! I especially love the Captain Underpants one. I can't imagine why he didn't want to wear it to school. *shock*

Thanks for linking up and thanks so much for taking pictures!

Life With The Boys! said...

Soo funny! I needed that laugh - I'm glad I stopped by. I thought your ideas were very creative.

Ronnica said...

Love their costumes...they work!

Brandi said...

You are very clever... I am still laughing at the Captain Underpants! Too funny! I think you did a great job!

the Spocks said...

Their costumes are cute. The will appreciate the effort.

Emily said...

hahaha! That's hilarious! I would be ticked too...it's always more work for the others!

Emmy said...

That beard is awesome! Very creative indeed.
And yes I would have been very mad if I stayed up that late only to be rejected

Beth Zimmerman said...

Very resourceful, Mom! I especially liked Captain Underpants!

Emily said...

ok, I know this is my second comment, but I just picked up Jack from school and he's all excited b/c his class is doing that same thing! Great...now what am I going to dress him up as! ahhhh! ;)

{Kimber} said...

I LOL'd at the costumes!!! hahahaha

McCrakensx4 said...

I think you did a GREAT job coming up with the costumes...'specially love the Captain Underpants...that is a fav book in our house!

Unknown said...

Many people are unaware of the steep challenge involved in finding book characters that boys can identify with. There are millions of easy readers with fuzzy animals and such but where have all the cowboys gone? Great work, don't despair! Your inventiveness is admirable. And funny.

He & Me + 3 said...

OMGoodness. Those costumes turned out so cute. Good job stressed out mommy:)

Rachel said...

Sorry, but those pictures are ABSOLUTELY hilarious! What a great scrapbook moment, eh? You are definitely Mom of the Year for that!

Kim said...

Those costumes are GREAT! I can't believe they didn't want to wear them.

I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Kari said...

That was great! I still say you are so creative - on a whim too!

So, you're an admitted candy thief???