Monday, August 2, 2010

The Story of A & B

Well, Ashton and Bailey turn 7 this week! Unbelievable! So I thought it would be fun to share their pregnancy and birth story. We'll make it a two-part series cuz, man-oh-man, they came with some excitement!

When Lily was about 12 months old we decided to start trying for another baby. It took 1.5years of "trying", 8 months of fertility drugs and 1 miscarriage before we finally got pregnant. (I know that compared to some, this is nothin')

I went my first pre-natal visit at 7 weeks and had a routine ultrasound. When I looked up at the screen I thought I must be hallucinating! I said to the Dr. "Is that two?!" and he said "Yep, that's two!"  But there was only 1 visible heartbeat so we made an appointment to come back in two weeks to check the heartbeats again. Although twins sounded scary, I was sad to think that there might be only one heartbeat.

Luckily, two weeks later it was confirmed that there was indeed TWO healthy heartbeats and both babies measured perfect 9 week size!

Pregnancies with multiples are considered high-risk, plus I thought it would be funny to add-on Gestational Diabetes and low iron so we spent more time at the Drs office than with a "normal" pregnancy. Which was actually fine with me because we got to have an ultrasound every time we were at the office. It is harder to verify two heartbeats with just the Doppler.


I thought for sure that we would have boy and girl twins, like my Mom's. My brothers kept teasing me that I was going to have two boys and they were going to torture ME just like they had tortured my Mom. So they thought it was hysterical when we found out, at 17 weeks, that we were having two boys. The biggest problem with that? We did not have TWO boy names. We had to start from scratch and search the baby name books! DaddyO and I each made a list of names that we liked. Then we switched lists and took turns crossing off names that we didn't like from the other's list. Here is my list:


Eventually we decided to use names that were related to trees, and we agreed on Ashton and Oakley. Then I, very foolishly, let someone know the names and they proceeded to tell me a horrible story about someone they knew named Oakley. So, Oakley became Bailey. Baby A would be Ashton and Baby B would be Bailey.

We made it to 31 weeks before things started to get interesting. Come back tomorrow (Wednesday) for the premature-labor AND delivery story!

16 comments:

SarahMerritt said...

haha the shirt and sunglasses are from Khols (jumping beans) We really never thought about A names for the baby but Matt picked Alastor from a video game (devil may cry) Alastor also means defender of man... which we like... I am so ecited to go back on the 10th to get another peek at this little guy! I was also not excited to share our names with people because I didnt want to hear the stories of people knowing someone named .... and then me hating the name!!! cant wait to read tomorrow!

He & Me + 3 said...

I loved looking at my babies on the ultrasound machine. My doctors office had one in there, so if you wanted to see the baby you just had to request that room. I got to see them alot.
Love the names you ended up with.

Michelle Pixie said...

I love birth stories! I think the names you have are perfect but sometimes I wish people would just keep their two cents to themselves. ;-)

Emily said...

It seriously ticks me off when someone tries to ruin your name choice by giving their opinion!! ;) But I do love your boys' names!
What a fun story...can't wait to read the rest!

Emily said...

It seriously ticks me off when someone tries to ruin your name choice by giving their opinion!! ;) But I do love your boys' names!
What a fun story...can't wait to read the rest!

Barclay Kathryn said...

Ooh can't wait to hear the rest! : )

Amy said...

I love birth stories! I can't wait to hear the rest!!!!! Ummmm I would have passed out finding out about twins though. On my 4'8" body I am not sure how that would work! I balloon up with just a singleton pregnancy!

Kmama said...

Ooh, I love baby stories. I can't wait for tomorrow!!

Emmy said...

Yeah, it is tempting to just not tell until the baby is born as everyone has an opinion. But it is so hard not to tell. Excited for the next part

Brandi said...

GAH! I HATE when people have opinions on names... My dad detested BB's name. He had the nerve to say to me 'it's gay.' Can you believe that?! Well, it pissed me off (and I'm stubborn) so I kept the name. I liked it too much. ;)

Where are the preggo pics? You're so tiny ~ I wanna see what you looked like pregnant w/twins!

Pam Bowers said...

Great story. It's fun to look back at these events. I've heard tons of stories about people sharing the names too soon. Families will rib you constantly if they don't like your name choice. Friends have way too much opinion. I've decided that if I get pregnant I will keep the name under wraps.

I can't wait to read part 2.

Foursons said...

Oh I love getting to read this! Y'alls method to choosing names seems much easier than ours of calling out random names and the other saying no.

Carly said...

Happy Birthday to your Lil Guys!

Angie Vik said...

I love reading birth stories and finding out why people chose the names they did. I commend you on your name picking strategy. It seems so civilized. My husband and I stressed out big time naming our kids.

I always thought it would be fun to have twins until I babysat five month old twins for a week. Even with my kids' help it was too much for me. I hope you had help when they were little. Hope your boys have a great birthday.

Mamí♥Picture said...

awww I love birth story!!! I can't wait to read the rest! I wish your boys an awesome Birthday!

Kim said...

I like how you picked their names, I think the A and B names are great! Can't wait to read more.